1. As a result of periodical interface meeting held with the Health Department, Persons with Mental Illness are now able to get adequate psychiatric medicines in Taluk- and District Govt. Hospital Hospitals.
2. Accessibility issues in schools have been brought to the notice of the District Collector with data and evidences during the meeting of the District Child Protection Committee. The District Collector has issued instructions to ensure accessible ramps and toilet facilities both in Government- and private schools across the District. This issue has now become one of the regular agendas for the review meetings. This ensures the accountability of the Block level and Educational Department authorities.
3. Lack of Proper Implementation provisions (such as 50 % of the work could be done, 4 hours instead of 8 hours is enough, full wages have to be given, suitable work has to be given according to disability) meant for PwDs according to the type of disability under MGNREGA scheme has not been followed in most of the villages. This issue has been brought to the notice of the State and District authorities with evidences. We made the Block level Govt. authorities issue necessary orders to all Panchayat Presidents/ Executive Officers in the local language. Relevant orders and guidelines issued by the State Government authorities and the Block Development Officer have been disseminated among DPOs for claiming their rights. Now PwDs are able to access the jobs without many difficulties and avail concessions laid down in the orders and prescribed wages.
4. 3 % reservation has to be allocated for PwDs under IAY housing scheme. This has been only 0.43 % during the year 2012-13 (ascertained through Right to Information Act. As a result of awareness among PwDs, interface meetings with the Panchayats and Govt authorities (2013-14), it increased to 2.70 % (129/4748 houses). Now the State Government is issuing the reservation order for PwDs to all districts.
5. Crutch users, caliper users, shoe users were not allowed to enter temples and perform worship. This issue has been highlighted in the media at State level. After that, Orders have been issued by the Commissioner, Hindu Religious & Endowment Department for the entry of assistive device users and worship. Also, 50% concession of charges is given to PwDs if they use the temple places for marriage functions.
6. Though a Government order was available form District level Coordination Committee for the welfare of PwDs, the committee has not been formed. Subsequently no platform was available for PwDs to present their needs in front of the joint platform of the District Collector, the District level Govt authorities, the Elected Representatives (Members of Parliament, MLAs, District Panchayat Chairman ) and representatives of different types of disabilities. As a result of the advocacy initiatives, the District collector has formed the Committee in April 2014 under the Chairmanship of District Collector. Vasantham DDPO President has been included as one of the committee members. This committee meeting will be held once in six months. Livingston’s grievances and suggestions were positively considered by the Committee and issued necessary instructions.
7. Mr. A. Livingston, District President of Vasantham Federation of Differently abled has been included as Member, Divisional Railway Users’ Consultative Committee – Chennai Division/Southern Railway. He has brought many issues related to PwDs in the committee meeting and make them to take policy level decisions on the following. Other committee members are also brining the issues of PWD passengers and give voice for the disabled friendly environment in the Railways.